The New Brunswick Lung Association is promoting its annual influenza awareness campaign with the goal to educate people on the reality that influenza can be life threatening. With many people still unvaccinated for Covid 19 and the emergence of new variants it is just as important as ever to get the influenza vaccination.
Get an influenza vaccination every year
It’s important that you get a new influenza vaccination every year because:
- the type of flu virus usually changes from year to year
- a new vaccine is created every year to protect you each flu season
- the effectiveness of the flu vaccine can wear off, so you need a new one
every year to stay protected
The influenza vaccination is safe
- severe reactions are very rare
- you can’t get the flu from the flu vaccination
- most people have no side effects from the flu vaccination
There are now flu vaccines designed specifically for seniors “called high dose flu vaccine.” An enhancement to the NB influenza program includes offering the High-Dose vaccine to all those aged 65 years and older at no cost.
Ask your doctor about the flu vaccine that is recommended for you.